Advisory Day Schedule
Advisory Grade Partners
2015 Hero Door Winners
Purpose Of Advisory
The advisory program at Montville High School promotes meaningful
relationships between staff and students while meeting the developmental and
educational needs of students. “When students experience caring and
connectedness at school they exhibit academic, social, and ethical benefits
including greater enjoyment of learning, stronger motivation to act kindly
toward others, and stronger feelings of social competence.” (Breaking Ranks,
- COMMUNITY: The Advisory is a
place to personalize and individualize the MHS education program to
enhance the school’s sense of community.
- SKILLS: The Advisory is a
place to support the development of life and relationship skills.
- ADVOCACY: The Advisory is a
place to encourage and cultivate leadership and self-advocacy skills.
- INVIGORATION: The Advisory is a
place to have fun and to learn about group process and dynamics
Roles and responsibilities of the Advisor:
- To act as coach and advocate.
- Encourage advisees to participate in the life of MHS.
- Encourage advisees to achieve their academic potential in support of their Student Success Plans (SSPs).
- Obtain answers to student’s academic and extra-curricula questions.
- Facilitate discussion of relevant topics.
- Discuss current issues in students' lives.
- Help student’s problem solve current concerns or
- Help students guide other students through problems.
How it works:
- We will meet twice a month for 30 minutes in-between
the first and second blocks.
- Advisory is designed to provide:
- Every student with an
advocate to help them personalize their educational experience.
- An additional structure
to make sure at least one adult knows the student's aspirations,
strengths, weaknesses and level of progress.
- A time to review topics
and issues relevant to students.
- A place for new
students to be welcomed.
- An opportunity to have
questions answered by staff and peers.
Please feel free to send
suggestions/feedback to the Advisory