MHS Advisory Program
Advisory Grade Partners
Purpose Of Advisory
The advisory program at Montville High School promotes meaningful relationships between staff and students while meeting the developmental and educational needs of students. “When students experience caring and connectedness at school they exhibit academic, social, and ethical benefits including greater enjoyment of learning, stronger motivation to act kindly toward others, and stronger feelings of social competence.” (Breaking Ranks, NASSP, 1996)
- COMMUNITY: The Advisory is a place to personalize and individualize the MHS education program to enhance the school’s sense of community.
- SKILLS: The Advisory is a place to support the development of life and relationship skills.
- ADVOCACY: The Advisory is a place to encourage and cultivate leadership and self-advocacy skills.
- INVIGORATION: The Advisory is a place to have fun and to learn about group process and dynamics
Roles and responsibilities of the Advisor:
- To act as coach and advocate.
- Encourage advisees to participate in the life of MHS.
- Encourage advisees to achieve their academic potential.
- Obtain answers to student’s academic and extra-curricula questions.
- Facilitate discussion of relevant topics.
- Discuss current issues in students' lives.
- Help student’s problem solve current concerns or issues.
- Help students guide other students through problems.
How it works:
- We will meet twice a month for 30 minutes in-between the first and second blocks.
- Advisory is designed to provide:
- Every student with an advocate to help them personalize their educational experience.
- An additional structure to make sure at least one adult knows the student's aspirations, strengths, weaknesses and level of progress.
- A time to review topics and issues relevant to students.
- A place for new students to be welcomed.
- An opportunity to have questions answered by staff and peers.
Please feel free to send suggestions/feedback to the Advisory Committee